Boys' water polo falls to Los Altos, 9-8

Senior captain Peter Rockhold prepares to throw the ball during a matchup against the Los Altos Eagles on Sept. 28. Rockhold scored a goal in the fourth quarter to give the Vikings a temporary lead.

– Aaron Chum

In a match-up between two undefeated league teams, the Palo Alto Vikings lost to the Los Altos Eagles, 9-8, today in a game that featured late second half rallies by both teams.

The Vikings got out to an early lead thanks to a goal by sophomore Will Conner with 5:23 left in the first quarter. The Eagles quickly tied the score four minutes later with a goal by Matt Orton. 

The Eagles scored three quick goals to start the second quarter, going up 4-1. However, two goals scored by Paly junior Quinn Rockwell and Conner cut the deficit to one point at halftime. Conner’s goal came with under a minute left in the half.

The teams traded goals throughout the third quarter. Junior Bret Pinsker scored three goals in the third quarter for the Vikings. Freshman Nelson Perla-Ward tied the score at 7-7 with 1.4 seconds left in the third quarter.

The Viking gained an 8-7 lead early in the fourth quarter with a goal by senior Peter Rockhold. However, the Eagles tied the game several minutes later.

The Eagles took the lead with 23 seconds left on a goal by Orton. A last second shot by Pinsker was saved by the Los Altos goalkeeper.

“We weren’t as ready to come play as we should have been,” Pinsker said. “We’re going to see them again in the league championship and beat them.”

The Eagles were league champions last year.

The Vikings will play their next game against the Gunn High School Titans at 6:45 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 29, at Gunn.