New teachers join Paly faculty: Part Two

voice-picture

David Peters has joined the Paly staff this year, along with fellow mathematics department teacher Brenda Young and language teacher Maria Alvarado.

– Ben Lin

Alongside the teachers from Part 1, the Palo Alto High School community is welcoming new teachers in the math and language departments.

After teaching for 11 years in New Jersey, David Peters is beginning a new school year at Paly teaching Geometry and Introduction to Analysis/Calculus.

“So far I love the classes that I’m teaching, though it’s a lot of work making sure that my lessons are prepared to the standards that I’m used to keeping,” Peters said. “Starting a new school year in a new school in a new state makes for a lot of work.”

Despite the amount of work, Peters enjoys his time so far at Paly.

“Paly has been wonderful to me so far,” Peters said. “The people, both staff and students, have been really great, and you certainly cannot complain about the facilities or the weather.

After graduating from Henry M. Gunn High School, another new math teacher, Brenda Young studied business administration at the University of California, Berkeley. Young then obtained a graduate degree at Stanford University in its teaching credential program. Young previously taught at Eastside College Preparatory School in East Palo Alto.

Young teaches both Algebra 1 and Algebra 2/Trig A.

“I am extremely excited about both subjects,” Young said. “Algebra happens to be the most useful subject that can be related to everyday life. You are constantly solving for x unconsciously when you go about your day.”

Young appreciates the atmosphere created by the Paly community to usher in the new teachers.

“I love it here,” Young said. “The students and faculty are both very friendly, creating a warm welcome to new teachers like me.

As a math teacher at Paly, Young looks to create a new culture through the Paly students’ attitudes towards math.

“Math is not something to be feared,” Young said. “More importantly, it should not be used as a gauge to determine how smart you are.  Mistakes are expected as part of the learning process and should be respected and inspected.”

A new teacher in the language department, Marina Alvarado, is joining the Paly staff after 19 years of teaching Spanish. Alvarado teaches Advanced Placement Spanish Language and Spanish 2.

Alvarado enjoys working with both the students and staff at Paly.

“The kids are great and well prepared,” Alvarado said. “Everyone is helpful, friendly and welcoming.”

Alvarado is looking forwards to her future years at Paly.

“It is a pleasure to be here,” Alvarado said. ”Feels like home.”