Theater to hold auditions for fall production

Auditions for the fall production of Noises Off will be held Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 6 and 7, in the Haymarket Theater after school, according to theater teacher Kathleen Woods.

Students interested in auditioning may sign up Tuesday or Wednesday during lunch or after school. President of the Thespian Board and senior Grace Barry explained that people auditioning will need to acquire copies of parts of the plays.

“They’ll pick up copies of short scenes or monologues to read from the play for their auditions,” Barry said. “These scenes do not need to be memorized, but it’s nice to look them over beforehand.” 

“People who plan on auditioning should read the play beforehand,” she added.

Noises Off, by Michael Frayn, is a “play within a play,” Woods described. According to Woods, the play centers on a British theater troupe trying to produce a play called Nothing On and, as Barry describes it, “everything conceivable goes wrong backstage.”

Both Barry and Woods agreed that the play is an extremely funny comedy and are excited for the outcome of the play.

“I think this play is going to be really great,” Barry said. “I’ve read the script, and it’s absolutely hilarious.”

“I expect the play will be a ton of fun to work on and hilarious for the audience,” Wood added. “When I directed the play previously — 14 years ago — it was one of the most fun experiences ever for the cast, crew and audiences.”

The Paly production will not, however, come without its challenges. Woods explained that the both Stage Tech and actors will have a large job ahead of them.

“The set will be the most complex one that Stage Tech students have built,” Woods said. “It has two full stories and seven doors. For actors, it is the most physically demanding show we have produced in the last five years as well.”

Barry is confident that the auditions will be a success. 

“The last time I saw the sign-up sheet, there were about 30 people signed up to audition for approximately 14 roles, which is usually about the ratio we get,” she said. “However, I’m hearing that even more people are planning on auditioning, which means that Ms. Woods will certainly have her work cut out for her in terms of casting.”

“Lots of slapstick humor — plates of sardines appearing and disappearing, pants falling down, broken noses, humorous trips and falls — a show not to be missed,” Woods said.

Noises Off will run Nov. 10, 15, 17, 18 and 20, according to Woods.