Brief: Vikings begin to defend state title, defeating San Benito 28-18 in season opener

voice-picture

Breaking free, B.J. Boyd takes the opening kickoff for a touchdown in the first game of Paly varsity football’s 2011 regular season.  On its home field, Paly topped San Benito, 28-18.

– Matt Ersted

[[nid:27964 left full]]

The defending Division I State Champion Palo Alto Vikings are continuing their success by demolishing visiting San Benito HIgh School, 28-18, in the opening game of the 2011 season at Palo Alto High School.

The Vikings jumped out to an early 7-0 lead when senior running back B.J. Boyd returned the opening kickoff of the game for a 90 yard touchdown.

“I got the team going,” Boyd said. “I took my time and let them run at me and then just took off and outran them.”

Boyd scored again several minutes later on a 62 yard run. 

Even though the team jumped ahead 28-6 in the first half, the Vikings were still disappointed with their performance due to a slow and sloppy second half.

“It’s game one, its week zero,” defensive coordinator Jake Halas said. “We’ll be alright. Our guys are hanging their heads like we lost. They [San Benito] are all excited. Our guys are looking down. But that’s what happens when you raise the bar, when you’re state champs.”

Halas was still confident that the season would be a success, emphasising that the team simply needs to improve every game.

“I’m totally positive about this season,” Halas said. “Our goal is to get better every game. We got so much work to do.” 

The Vikings will play Archbishop Mitty on Sept. 16 at 7:00 p.m. at Foothill College.