New teachers join Paly faculty: Part One

Chris Farina, who teaches World History, Psychology and Advanced Placement Psychology, has joined the Palo Alto High School staff along with 12 teachers. 

– Ben Lin

The Palo Alto High School community is welcoming a host of new teachers in the English, Social Studies and Art departments.

Melissa McGrath, who teaches World Literature and Critical Thinking II, is unaccustomed to teaching seniors or honors sophomore English but feels ready for the challenge.

“I have never taught seniors before so I’m excited for a new age group and new curriculum,” McGrath said. “I have taught sophomores before, but never at the advanced level. I am really looking forward to challenging these students to grow as readers, writers, and thinkers.”

McGrath has had a positive experience at Paly so far, feeling welcomed by both the staff and the students.

“From the first time I stepped onto Paly’s campus I have been greeted with nothing less than kindness and respect from students and staff alike,” McGrath said.

McGrath graduated from the California Polytechnic State University with honors, earning a Bachelor of Arts in English. She has taught multiple English classes, mostly to juniors and sophomores for six years at San Benito High School and Del Mar High School, according to McGrath.

“I am very excited to be a part of the Paly community and I am thankful for all the support I have received so far,” McGrath said. “This seems like a great place to learn and to teach.”

Hailing from the Social Studies Department, Christopher Farina is tackling two periods each of World History and Psychology, as well as one period of Advanced Placement Psychology this year. Farina, whose main experience lies in World History, had to adjust his curriculum for the Paly course. In addition, although Farina is familiar with the psychology curriculum, he is working with Melinda Mattes for the AP Psychology class.

“I’ve taught World History at each of the schools I’ve been at,” Farina said. “Though the scope of the course is different than what I’ve taught before. I taught Psychology at Andover [High School], and on a block schedule, so that’s a course I’m already familiar with. AP Psych[ology] is the first AP class I’ve taught, but I’m collaborating on it with Melinda Mattes.”

Farina received a Master’s in Education for curriculum and instruction from Keene State College in New Hampshire and has been teaching for four years at several high schools, including Gunn High School last spring. Farina has also advised multiple clubs and coached ultimate frisbee.

“I’ve never taught at a school with a schedule quite like Paly’s, so I’m interested to see how that works out this year,” Farina said.

The art department has also received a new addition to its teaching staff with the arrival of Steven Ferrera. Ferrera is teaching three periods of Art Spectrum.

“This is my first time teaching Art Spectrum at Paly,” Ferrera said. “I’ve been teaching similar content at the college level for the past five years.”

Ferrera received his master’s degree in fine arts with an emphasis in sculpture and has taught a variety of art forms. He has also worked independently as a professional sculptor, glass studio owner and different roles in the commercial and feature film industry.  

“My experience at Paly has been great,” Ferrera said. “The amount of enthusiasm from the community, faculty, support staff and parents is amazing.”