Claire Liu slated to be freshman president

voice-picture

Freshman class presidential candidate Claire Liu boasts three years of experience on Jordan’s student council. Freshman class elections will be held during Advisory on Thursday in the Haymarket Theater.

– Alex Carter

Claire Liu, a current freshman and past member of the Jordan Middle School student council, will run unopposed for freshman class president.

Liu has plenty of experience for her near-imminent position as freshman class president, thanks to her veteran status on the Jordan student council.

“I did student council all three years at Jordan, I was the sixth grade vice president and the seventh and eighth grade president, and I really loved student council there,” Liu said. “I think it’s really fun representing my grade, doing spirit activities and talking to the administration.”

Liu’s goals for her presidency include making new freshmen feel welcome and increasing class participation in student government.

“I want to help make the transition somewhat smoother for freshmen, and I really want to stress the fact that students should learn to voice their opinions and come forward with their thoughts and ideas,” Liu said. “I think that students have a lot more ability to influence things that go on at school than they think they do.”

Liu also has specific plans to improve communication. One approach is the student forum, which she helped to pioneer as class president at Jordan.

“We had a packed cafe of kids who were full of ideas and a lot of people said they wanted more dances,” Liu said. “And we got a dance a few weeks later.”

Liu also plans to take an active role in Spirit Week. She hopes to lead by example in order to improve freshman involvement.

“I’m going to try my best to be as enthusiastic and as spirited as I can,” Liu said.

Freshman class elections will be held during Advisory on Thursday in the Haymarket Theater.