Town and Country food prices rise

voice-picture

Paly students are facing higher lunch prices at Lulu’s Burritos in Town and Country Village due to a nationwide increase in food prices. Mayfield Bakery and Sushi House have also raised prices on popular lunch items.

– Alex Carter

Some popular Town and Country Village vendors are reacting to increased nationwide food prices by raising rates on common lunch staples for Paly students.

Three popular restaurants that raised prices recently are the Mayfield Bakery, Lulu’s Burritos and Sushi House.

Mayfield Bakery, a popular food spot for Paly students, raised the price of its sandwiches from $6.75 to $7.25 during the winter.

“We adjust based on ingredient cost,” Mayfield manager Richard Clark said. Clark pointed to gas and dairy prices as the primary factors influencing his decision.

“If there is a long term change, then we try to adjust our prices accordingly,” Clark said.

Food prices across the nation have experienced a long-term rise. The price index for food, which reflects average relative food prices across the US, has risen 4.2 percent overall in the past year, and rose 0.4 percent in July alone, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Lulu’s Burritos, another frequent destination for students, recently raised the price of its “student special” burritos from the popular price of $5 per burrito to $6 due to the cost of maintaining the chain’s commitment to fresh products.

“We get deliveries every day,” said Jamie Aguilar, supervisor of the Lulu’s in Town and Country.

“It used to cost $25 per case of avocados, but our supplier has raised the price to $35,” Aguilar said.

According to Aguilar, this change is significant because Lulu’s uses avocados in many of its menu items inluding tacos and fresh guacamole.

“We waste a lot of avocados, so a lot of our so-called ‘profit’ goes to that,” Aguilar said.

Aguilar also mentioned that the price change will likely be reversed, bringing the student special price back to $5 in the coming weeks to accommodate students.

Sushi House, a Japanese restaurant popular for its Teriyaki Chicken Bowls, has also risen the price from $5.75 to $6.25 per bowl. Like the owners of the Mayfield Bakery and Lulu’s, owner Masa Nagamine attributes the price rise to increased food prices.

“Rice used to be $27 per bag. Now it’s $40 per bag,” Nagamine said. “It’s a national problem. Everybody tries to get as much as possible for their money but it’s not possible [with inflation].”

According to Bloomberg news, rice price indexes have risen 53 percent in the past year, confirming Nagamine’s concerns.

However, like Lulu’s, Sushi House still maintains special prices for students. Non-students have to pay $8 for the same meal.

“It’s still a good deal,” Nagamine said.

And it seems that students think so as well. According to Nagamine, the number of students who buy their chicken bowls has not dwindled.

“Most of them come regularly and they like the chicken bowls,” Nagamine said.