Palo Alto sends off Class of 2011 with grand ceremony

voice-picture

The Class of 2011 proceeds to its seats to await its diplomas during this year’s commencement ceremony on Wednesday, June 8. Click here for a complete slideshow of the 2011 graduation.

– Hae-Lin Cho

Wearing its Viking colors, the Palo Alto High School Class of 2011 triumphed and celebrated its last year of high school with heartfelt speeches, musical performances and confetti at its commencement ceremony, Wednesday, June 8 at Paly. 

After a prelude by the Paly band, led by conductors David Brigham and Jeff Wilner, the seniors marched up to the tune of “Pomp and Circumstance,” surrounded by a crowd of supporting friends and family. 

Principal Phil Winston invited senior class President Jack Smale to make a few opening remarks. Smale emphasized the brilliance of the senior class, not only in achievement, but also in heart and unity.

“To be honest, what impresses me most about our class are not the plaques on our walls or the trophies in our cases, though they are nice,” Smale said in his speech. “It’s that, in light of all our triumphs, we have still managed to come together from all social backgrounds as geeks, jocks, thespians, artists, musicians and more to prove that we are one class, the Class of 2011.”

[[nid:27869]]

Smale added that he would always remember the four years he spent at Paly.

“Congratulations to everyone on how far we’ve come,” Smale said.

Winston followed Smale’s speech with his own remarks, mentioning the first student he met at Paly –– Kevin Anderson, as well as chickens, streaking and his gratitude for his acceptance at Paly.

“They [the Class of 2011] are simply stunning,” Winston said.  

Seniors Osceola Ward, Quinn Walker, Will Glazier and Wes Rapaport also took the stage to give their student reflections.

All of the seniors discussed different aspects of their four years at Paly. Ward, in his speech titled “A Village United,” referred to an African saying that an entire village raises a child, his villages being the cities of East Palo Alto and Palo Alto.

“You [the communities of Palo Alto and East Palo Alto] are my village. This is my village, and you taught me well,” Ward said. Ward, like Smale, emphasized that titles are not everything.

Walker delivered a speech titled “Memories,” in which she talked about how much Paly has prepared all of its students for the future.

“What I’ve come to realize as our class scatters out across the country and even the world, is that we’re really not going anywhere we haven’t been before,” Walker said. “Our teachers and our classes have prepared us for everything –– the challenges we’ll face and the new experiences we’ll encounter.”

[[nid:27874]]

“Safe at Home,” given by Glazier, compared high school to baseball. Glazier likened the bases in the baseball diamond to the four years of high school and talked about how “coaches” –– friends, parents, teachers and advisers –– helped students make it through all four challenging bases back to home.

“This year or this entire journey was of self-discovery,” Glazier said. Glazier also mentioned that perfection lay in the faith to delve into one’s passions and give everything one has.

Rapaport, who was also awarded the Viking Award, an award presented to an exemplary student that teachers and faculty believe represent Paly “at its finest,” delivered a speech about doing what one loves, entitled “Finding a Passion.”  

“I want to do what I enjoy,” Rapaport said, encouraging students to do the same. “I couldn’t imagine filling up my time with anything else.”

Rapaport, who leads Paly’s INFocus television network and announces for many of Paly’s sports games, was bestowed with the Viking Award by Winston and INFocus adviser and English teacher Mike McNulty for his willingness to help without question.

McNulty presented Rapaport with the award, saying that Rapaport was so helpful that many students had developed the “ask-Wes syndrome.”

The Viking Award is the highest honor for a senior, according to McNulty, and is not necessarily given out to a student every year.

The speeches of the night were concluded by ASB president Chirag Krishna in “Outclassed.” After inviting all of his fellow speakers to stand with him, representing the Class of 2011’s “unity, camaraderie and leadership,” Krishna talked about the many achievements Paly seniors had attained.

[[nid:27871]]

He congratulated those who were the first in their families to go to college, those to whom “school does not come so easily,” and others.

Krishna said that he had been outclassed by his amazing classmates and remarked that he felt no shame or regret for having been so.

The meaningful speeches were followed by two musical performances. The band “Tricky Zipper,” made up of seniors Jack Scarpino, Connor Fitzgerald, Andrew Hedge and Max Cohen, performed a cover of the song “High and Dry” by Radiohead. Seniors Katie Maser, Lori Krakirian, Anna Glaves and Sarah Berry partnered with retiring TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More) biology teacher Lynn Hori to perform “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” 

Both performances were met with huge applause and enthusiasm from the crowd and seniors.

The special guest must not be forgotten: Eugene Bradford, part of Paly’s Class of 1953, did not receive his diploma with his class because he was serving in the Marine Corps.

Bradford was invited to finally receive his long-awaited diploma with the Class of 2011 and said in a touching, short address to the crowd, “I don’t need legs to say thank you [Class of 2011],” referring to the fact that he used a wheelchair. He was handed his diploma along with a standing ovation from the graduating seniors.

The ceremony concluded with the acceptance of the Class of 2011 and the presentation of diplomas.

Winston also honored more than the graduating class at the celebration. He mentioned Paly’s retiring staff members: Ronald Brown, Lynn Hori, Hok Ky, Linda Morris, Judy Niizawa, Janet Urbina and Kay Van Der Burg.

A happy day, the graduation ceremony was coupled with sunny, warm weather –– the first break from cold and cloudy skies in an abnormally dreary summer season. 

[[nid:27873]]

The spirit of the graduation of the class can be summed up by the words of Winston: “With ordinary talent and with extraordinary perseverance, all things are achievable. I say that to all of you.”

To view a slideshow of the 2011 commencement ceremony, click here