Next year's theater program outlined at Senior Showcasing

Students can look forward to next year’s theater season which will follow the theme: “Come and laugh with us!” The 2011-2012 season was outlined on  Friday, May 27, during the Senior Showcase, an event to recognize all the seniors who have participated in the theater program.

According to theater teacher Kathleen Woods, the fall and spring plays respectively are “Noises Off,” which will run the second two weekends of November, and Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing,” which will run during the first two weekends in March.

“I love the shows [chosen to be performed next year] and know they will have a lot of popular appeal,” Woods said.

The “One Acts Showcase” will continue next year as well.

Woods also explained that an improvisation troupe of around 15 to 20 students will be made next year. 

“They [the students in the troupe] will be trained by professionals and perform several times in the fall and spring,” Woods said.

In addition, the 2011-2012 Thespian Board was released. The new board will be made up of junior Grace Barry as president, junior Heather Gaya as vice president, junior Annie Rosenberg as secretary, junior Justin Krasner-Karpen as treasurer, junior Lauren Garland as publicity person and junior Zachary Freier-Harrison as member at large.  Besides announcements, the seniors in the theater program were all given individual awards and “a theater related book” presented by Woods.

Seniors were also given the choice to perform at the showcase. According to Woods, the performances included songs, monologues and scenes.

“The senior performances were quite varied and terrific,” Woods said.

The other awards given at the showcase include the awards won at the California State Thespian Conference, Thespian Honor ranks (if students worked 600 or more hours in theater) and two Honorary Thespian Awards given to two parents involved in Paly theater.