Junior elected as Key Club district secretary

Palo Alto High School junior Andrew Liu holds a “Governor’s Award” given out to the six California-Nevada-Hawaii committee chairs and a stuffed bee that is given out to each of the winners of the elections for the 2011-2012 district executives.

– Junior Linda Li

Palo Alto High School junior Andrew Liu was elected District Secretary for the California-Nevada-Hawaii Key Club section during the organization’s District Convention earlier this month.

Every year, Key Club holds DCON at various locations where the new district executives – governor, secretary, treasurer, and tech editor – are elected. Those elected are responsible for running the California-Nevada-Hawaii District, which contains all the clubs with over 42,000 members, according to Liu.

Liu participated in the election process, which commenced with an introduction of all the candidates on the main stage Friday night. DCON attendees then had a meet-and-greet session with Liu and the other participants.

Candidates cycled through seven caucus rooms the next day and gave speeches to the audience. Two of the candidates were selected to the next round, where they had to answer questions from the former District Executives in the House of Delegates.

After the interviews, 500 delegates voted and Liu was named the District Secretary.

“I was really surprised when I found out that I won since I went against some really strong candidates,” Liu said.

Liu plans to work hard on expanding his position as district secretary of CNH.

“My main goal is not simply to compile the information in an archive, but to disseminate the information throughout the CNH District so that ordinary members and the community know just how much of an impact Key Club makes,” Liu said.

Liu looks forward to his term and will try his best to keep the district strong and connected:

“I think that it’s going to be a great year working with the Lieutenant Governors from throughout California, Nevada, and Hawaii.”