New coach looks to lead badminton team to victory

Head coach Stephanie Hsi teaches a player badminton techniques. – Rachel HarrusThe Palo Alto High School badminton team is looking to repeat its strong finish from last year, when the team held a 10-2 record and won the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League title in the El Camino Division.

This year, the Vikings return with a new head coach, Stephanie Hsi, who graduated from Paly in 2005. Several key players from last year’s title run will also return: seniors Kevin Kwan, Andy Tsai and Shaw Hsu, juniors Linda Li, Karine Hsu, Alex Liu and Andrew Liu and sophomore Gavin Chan.

“I think Stephanie has brought the team a sense of discipline and teamwork between all of us,” team captain Kevin Kwan said. “The organization of the team is definitely stronger than before.”

Hsi has restructured the badminton program, adding a larger leadership team while emphasizing fundraising.

“For the first time in years, the badminton team is fundraising,” Hsi said. “Every player that fundraises earns themselves a personalized uniform to take home.”

The team has been fundraising by selling christmas trees, selling food at basketball games and hosting garage sales.

Hsi has set high expectations for the upcoming season. Her most important goal is individual improvement.

“As for the upcoming season, I only ask that everyone concentrates on improving,” Hsi said. “If they take their shots point by point, it really doesn’t matter if they win or lose, because they’re getting better.”

With both Hsi and Kwan working together, they are confident they can lead to the to another division title, which could mean promotion to the more competitive De Anza division.

“For the team, I want them to be at the top of our division table as we did last year,” Kwan said. “No if’s, and’s, or but’s.”

The time and place of the first home game are still to be determined.