Palo Alto Children's Theatre premieres "Metamorphosis: Junior Year"

voice-picture

Betsy Franco answers a question from the audience during the talk back after the Saturday performance of “Metamorphosis: Junior Year.” – Courtesy of Spencer CarlsonAuthor Betsy Franco’s “Metamorphosis: Junior Year,” based on her previous young adult novel by the same title, premiered at the Palo Alto Children’s Theatre Thursday, March 3, and will continue playing until Saturday, March 12.

In the dramatization, protagonist Ovid tells the story of his classmates’ lives in their junior year and unveils his own struggles with his parents after his sister’s disappearance. As Ovid tells his tale, he draws connections between Roman mythology and his life, according to the Palo Alto Children’s Theatre website.

Sophomore Amelia Saliba Long, who plays Ovid’s sister, Thena, believes “Metamorphosis: Junior Year” succeeds in showing the difficulties of high school students.

“It really shows some of the hardships people go through but don’t talk about,” Saliba Long said.

Senior Layla Moheimani, who became involved in the project since she participated at the first staged reading in October 2010, agreed.

“It’s a really eye-opening play for teens who feel like they are alone and misunderstood and no one knows what they’re going through,” Moheimani said.

[[nid:26614]]

Throughout the entire process, Betsy Franco, mother of Paly alumnus James Franco, received direct input from teenagers through readings and workshops while working on the play.

Sophomore Spencer Carlson, treasurer of the Teen Arts Council, a community-based initiative of the Palo Alto Children’s Theatre, believes that besides being relatable for teenagers, “Metamorphosis: Junior Year” has the potential for reaching out to parents as swell.

“This play will institute understanding between generations in a new, powerful way,” Carlson said.

Besides help from teens from Palo Alto, Betsy Franco received help from her sons, Tom and James Franco.

Tom Franco, Betsy Franco’s middle son, illustrated the book “Metamorphosis: Junior Year.” His illustrations are incorporated into the play.

Betsy Franco’s oldest son, James Franco, decided to make a documentary about process of writing and producing the play.

Students and families can watch the play at the Children’s Theatre until March 12. For a full list of the show times, click here.

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this story stated that Tom Franco was Betsy Franco’s eldest son and James Franco was the middle son, but the opposite is true. The current version of the story reflects this change.