New publication wins award for first issue

[[nid:26198 left half]]

The new Palo Alto High School arts and entertainment magazine, [Proof], is a finalist for the Columbia Scholastic Press Association Crown Award for its first issue, which was was published last summer by Paly art and photo students.

Crown Awards are presented to student publications for overall excellence in content, design, photography, coverage, writing and editing. The awards will be given out at Columbia University’s 87th annual convention that will be held from March 16-18.

The 2010 CSPA convention provided [Proof]‘s adviser Margo Wixsom the inspiration for the magazine.

“I saw copies of the best arts magazines at Columbia when I took the yearbook staff for the CSPA conference in March,” Wixsom said. “I showed the examples to my Advanced Photo and AP art students … they designed the cover and magazine layout and then selected student work that was submitted.”

[Proof] differs from Paly’s other publications in that it focuses on artwork rather than articles.

“It’s different from other publications because [Proof] is focused mainly on showing students’ work,” [Proof] senior art editor Caitlin Dazey said. “Everything is image based … it would be great for sculpture and glass blowing to bring in something. Art isn’t only 2D, and it would be nice to have more of the 3D works included.”

[Proof] is currently recruiting new members to contribute to next year’s magazines. Students who have not taken Beginning Journalism, a prerequisite for joining the other publications, will be able to participate in this publication.

“We also want to give underclassmen interested in joining a publication the opportunity to apply to [Proof],” junior arts editor Katie Causey said. “I know that a lot of underclassmen want to know what it is like to be on a publication, and don’t always have time to take Beginning Journalism.”

Students interested in joining [Proof] can contact [email protected] or join the Facebook event for more information.