Paly Fillmore team will divide and conquer to win annual trivia hunt

The Paly Millard Fillmore team will scour the Paly library and various local libraries to find documentation and written sources for the 43rd annual trivia contest, according to team captain senior Ryan Brenner. – Hannah KimQ: What is Cookie Monster’s favorite kind of cookie?

A: Chocolate Chip.

[[nid:26065]]

This question is from the 2008 Milliard Fillmore Trivia Hunt. Answering the question may have been easy, but the real challenge comes in finding written evidence.

Starting this Friday, the Palo Alto High School Milliard Fillmore team will scramble all over the local area to find answers and documented evidence to the 2011 Milliard Fillmore trivia questions.

To win the contest, the team must score points by answering questions correctly and providing hard-copy evidence.

The Hunt Director creates the questions with specific solutions. However, teams can still win points with a wrong answer if they provide written evidence from two different sources, according to teacher adviser Arne Lim.

“It is a research contest between high schools to see who can get the most correct answers and document it,” Lim said, adding that the search demands multiple team members because there are questions that require students to travel around the Bay Area to bring back specific items and pieces of evidence.

Team Captain Ryan Brenner, a senior, said that the Paly team may be at a disadvantage because the competition takes place right after finals, and there has not been enough time to recruit team members.

This year’s contest will kick off at 4 p.m. Friday at Woodside High School. All teams will receive the same set of questions and then will have 48 hours to divide and conquer.

Paly will participate with about five other local schools, including Henry M. Gunn High School and Castilleja High School.

The prize for the winning high school is the contest trophy and pride, according to Lim.

The local annual trivia contest began 43 years ago at Carlmont High School. Dr. Robert Hunter originally created the contest to teach his history students how to research. The contest later grew into a local competition, according Lim.

The contest has been passed down through generations and those who have competed in the past still come back to participate, according to Lim, who also competed in the contest as a student at Paly.

“I was a kid doing this [the contest], and I care about it,” Lim said. “We have alumni who come and help out just for the fun of it.”

According to Brenner, all students and parents are welcome to join the Paly Fillmore team by coming at 6 p.m. Friday to the Paly Library to start the hunt. The team will continue to meet on Saturday and Sunday at the main library and spread out to various local libraries for the hunt.