Boys' basketball dominates Los Altos, 65-45

[[nid:25967]]

The Palo Alto High School boys’ basketball team (8-5, 2-0) posted a dominating win over Los Altos High School, 65-45, at home on Tuesday.

Junior forward Isreal Hakim led the Vikings with 10 points, followed by forwards senior Davante Adams and sophomore Mathias Schmutz with nine apiece.

Los Altos won the tip off but Paly controlled the rest of the game by taking a 13-9 lead after the first quarter and never relinquishing their hold. Paly led by as much as 23 points throughout the game.

“In the first half we did the offense well and performed great rotation,” Paly head coach Adam Sax said as he noted his team’s offensive strength.

The Vikings maintained a comfortable lead of more than 10 points throughout most of the game. However, senior forward Max Schmarzo and Sax both agreed that the Vikings played without the same intensity on defense.

“The team’s offense was great but I think that the team needs to work on defensive pressure,” Schmarzo said.

“We played more guys to step up the press a little bit,” Sax said. “There are still things we need to work on.”

Sax predicted that the team will improve after getting players who were playing on fall sports back into playing basketball.

“We have football players that have only been out there for a couple of weeks but after a while we will get better.”

Junior guard Alec Wong attributed much of the team’s success against Los Altos to enthusiasm and hustle for toward playing time in the game.

“Everyone on the team is fighting for their own time on the court,” junior guard Alec Wong, who had five assists during the game, said.

The Vikings made five shots beyond the arc. Adams and sophomore forward E.J. Floreal both displayed impressive athleticism with dunks on fast breaks after steals.

The Vikings will play their next game at 7:45 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 21, against Gunn High School at home.