Yearbook orders plagued with confusion

Last year’s edition of Madrono sold over 1400 copies, but only 600 orders have been placed this year. Wixsom attributes the sharp decline in sales to the confusion generated by Paly’s sudden switch to an online ordering system. Students have until Jan. 15 to order their copy of Madrono. – Marc HavlikWith less than half of the usual number of yearbook orders, Madrono adviser Margo Wixsom has worked to make sure the new online ordering procedure is clear to students and families. Students can order their copy of Madrono through the Paly Web Store until Jan. 15.

The front office had changed the ordering procedure at the beginning of the year, but had not informed Wixsom or Madrono staffers of the change. Although a flyer about yearbook orders was sent out in the first week of school, many families seem to be confused about their orders — with some who don’t know how to order a yearbook, and others who believed that they have ordered one but are not on the official list.

To help minimize confusion, Wixsom has advertised the change in the Paly Link, The Paly Voice and Verde Magazine. In addition, she has asked that Principal Phil Winston call students’ homes to inform them of possible errors with orders.

Students are encouraged to confirm that they have ordered a yearbook by checking the list posted next to the auditor’s office.

Though the yearbook staff receives the final count of the yearbook purchases, individuals should go to the auditor for order confirmations, according to Madrono Editor-in-Chief Jodi So.

The new online system had benefits of conserving resources and easing the processing of orders, but due to a lack of publicizing the change, there has been a significant decline in yearbook orders, according to Wixsom.

“There have only been about 600 orders this year,” she said. “Usually there are about 1,400.”

Changes in the ordering system caused confusion between the front office and Wixsom, according to assistant principal Jerry Berkson.

“Ms. Wixsom wasn’t notified [of the change], so she wouldn’t have been able to correlate between the low numbers of orders,” Berkson said.

While the office initiated the change in the ordering system, they were not given the final number of orders; conversely, Wixsom received the orders, but was not informed of the change.

“It was the cause and effect of things,” Berkson said. “Had [the office] seen the numbers [of orders] we would have noticed [the lack of orders].”