Travel logistics finalized as football heads to State Championship

Head coach Earl Hansen speaks to the team at the end of its final practice of the season. The Vikings are in Carson, Calif. to play for the DI State Championship on Friday. – Marc HavlikThe Palo Alto High School football team is in Carson to compete in the California Interscholastic Federation Division I state championship game at the Home Depot Center.

The Vikings left around 8:00 a.m. on Thursday. The Pep band and cheerleaders will leave for Carson on Friday.

After much consideration, there will not be a rooter bus to transport students to the game because of timing, planning and financial difficulties, according to team mom Anne Anderson.

“In 2006, we had a family organize a rooter bus that was completely self-funded,” Anderson said. “That worked because the game was on a Saturday at a time when the driver could have 8 hours off in between driving people there and driving people back.” The game, on a Friday, would not fit that time frame and therefore a rooter bus is not a possibility.

Student activities director Kindel Launer explained part of the dilemma regarding a rooter bus for student-fans.

“If kids were excused from school, then it would be a field trip, and if it was a field trip, then you would need teacher chaperons,” Launer said.

Although there will not be a school sponsored event bringing students to the game, Launer encouraged students who are still planning to make the road trip to be careful on their way to the venue.

“I would love to see Paly fans down there but, more importantly, I want to see safe Paly students down there,” Launer said.

Paly received a bid to play undefeated Corona Centennial High School, who is ranked fifth in the nation, for the state title after a victory against Valley Christian High School to win the Central Coast Section Open Division championship. For more information on the match up Click here.

The game will be on Friday, December 17 at 7:30 pm in Carson, California.

Check back during the game for scores and live coverage on the Paly Voice. The game will also be broadcast on Comcast SportsNet, visit CSNBayArea.com and CSNCalifornia.com for channel listings in your area