Girls' tennis finishes season with loss at CCS, strong performance in league

Senior Rachel Capelouto completes a serve against Los Altos during her final set at Palo Alto High School on Sept. 30. The Palo Alto High School varsity girls’ tennis team placed third in leagues, with a winning record of 12-8. – Jeffrey LuThe Palo Alto High School varsity girls’ tennis team finished with a solid season this year, posting an 11-8 record in leagues and qualifying for Central Coast Section Championships.

“Overall, I think we did well,” said senior Mira Khanna, Paly’s No. 1 singles player. “We ended up finishing third in the league, far better than last year.”

The Vikes reached the quarterfinals of CCS but lost against powerhouse Menlo School, 1-6, at Menlo School on Nov. 10. Despite the defeat at CCS, the team still placed near the top in the league, according to Khanna.

“[Our placement in the league is] pretty amazing considering we were only behind Saratoga and Monta Vista, which are incredibly strong teams,” Khanna said.

No. 2 doubles player Emily Efland, a senior, echoed Khanna’s praise, crediting the team’s success to the close bonds between individual players.

“I think we performed really well,” Efland said. “We were able to step up as a team and qualify for CCS, which is even farther than we got last year. I think this is due to our team chemistry; everyone really bonded this year, and we all supported each other throughout the matches.”

The team had a wealth of veteran leadership this year, with seniors dominating the team roster.

“Because our team was made up of mostly seniors, we were all experienced for the most part and knew how to handle pressure,” Efland said.

At the same time, the team saw solid plays from its underclassmen members as well, with freshman Felicia Wang and doubles partner senior Margot Gerould winning several impressive matches.

“She and I have complementary styles of playing that matched up really well,” Gerould said. “I think we only lost two matches the entire season while playing together, which is incredible.”

With an experienced lineup comes its corresponding disadvantages. The team is bidding farewell to eight members, including seniors Rachel Capelouto, Jacqueline Friduss, Maya Krasnow, Chloe Lischinsky, Sabrina Yeung, Efland and Khanna.

“Because so many seniors are graduating, only four people will stay on [the team] next year from the current existing varsity [team],” Khanna said.

Junior Amy Ke is a possible candidate for next season’s captain, as she is the only junior on the team, according to Khanna.

Ultimately, Gerould notes that she will remember the season for the unification of the members as one single team.

“Tennis teams can often feel like groups of individuals rather than teams,” Gerould said. ”This year, however, I really felt a camaraderie. I think it had everything to do with our attitudes toward playing and toward each other. I truly felt at home with all the Lady Vikes this year.”