College Terrace Library re-opens for business

The refreshed interior of the College Terrace library sports updated lighting and new carpeting, among other improvements. The library re-opened to the public on Tuesday, Nov. 9. – Jeffrey LuPalo Alto residents now have access to the renovated College Terrace Library, which re-opened on Tuesday.

Library patrons should immediately notice a refreshed interior, according to Cornelia Van Aken, assistant library director for the city of Palo Alto.

“The interior of the library has been fully renovated and freshened,” Van Aken said. “Customers should immediately notice a more spacious and comfortable feel to the building because it has been made [compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act]. The stacks are much easier to browse.”

Furthermore, improved lighting, new carpeting and a climate control system enhance the ambiance of the library.

The renovation process began during the summer of 2009, with improvements planned for every corner of the facility. While library regulars will easily notice the interior upgrades, there have been numerous behind-the-scenes renovations as well.

“One of the biggest improvements has been a major seismic reinforcement,” Van Aken said. “[This is] very important for an older building in earthquake country. We’ve also improved the mechanical and electrical systems.”

Aside from the physical and structural improvements to the building, Van Aken highlights the fact that Palo Alto residents now have access to an updated collection of books and media.

“We have also freshened up the collection,” Van Aken said. “Customers will find many new books on the shelves.”

Despite all the updates completed thus far, Van Aken reveals that there is still some unfinished work that is slated to be completed in the coming months.

“We have also ordered some new furniture,” Van Aken said. “It hasn’t yet arrived, but I think customers will enjoy the new look even more in a month or two.”

The College Terrace Library is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The library is closed all other days.

In addition, Van Aken noted that construction on the Mitchell Park Library continues to press ahead. She suggested that Palo Alto bookworms swing by the temporary Mitchell Park Library (4050 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303) instead during the construction process.

“The old building was demolished many weeks ago,” Van Aken said. “The branch is operating a temporary but surprisingly beautiful location at the Cubberley Community Center.”