World renowned artists to hold photojournalism forum tomorrow

Recent portrait of Madagascar from Ed Kashi’s portfolio of images that earned the Prix Pictet award. He will be joined by editor David Elliot Cohn, and UC Berkeley professor of Geography and Chair of African Studies, Michael Watts, at the What Matters Photojournalism Forum tomorrow in the library at 12:15. Parents and community welcome. – Ed KashiThree internationally renowned artists and photographers will educate Palo Alto High School students with a photojournalism presentation tomorrow in the library at 12:15 p.m.

“The work is geared to help viewers to connect with an array of issues around the world that affect us here is Palo Alto,” art and photography teacher Margo Wixsom said. “There is no other presentation that I have seen that includes such diverse and relevant information.”

Students who attend should expect to learn about interdisciplinary connections, which is defined as the relationship between multiple subjects and their correlation to current events, according to Wixsom.

“Interdisciplinary connections [are] how science, social studies, literature, psychology and art intersect to illustrate the realities of life and cultures around the world,” Wixsom said.

Photographers Ed Kashi and David Elliot Cohen, authors of 70 photojournalism books, will hold the presentation. They have invited special guest, Michael Watts, who is the director of University of California Berkeley’s Center for African Studies.

This is the second year Kashi has presented at Paly. He and the others were invited again because of the positive feedback from last year and because of their accomplishments and works, according to Wixsom.

“It [last year’s presentation] was very well received with inspiring comments from parents and students,” Wixsom said. “They are world-class artists, writers and speakers who are willing to take the time to come to Paly and share their insights.”

Students who attended the presentation last year should know that this year’s presentation is new, according to Wixsom.

“[This year] will be an entirely new presentation,” Wixsom said. “I only wish there was more interest at Paly in the value and interdisciplinary connections of the Forum.”

A preview to the presentation can be found here.