Brief: Football downs Wilcox, 28-15

Paly’s defensive line harassed Wilcox all game long, putting constant pressure on the quarterback and allowing only one long touchdown run. – Ken WattanaThe Palo Alto Vikings (4-0, 1-0) opened Santa Clara Valley Athletic League play with a solid victory over the Wilcox Chargers, 28-15.

Despite conceding a first quarter interception by senior quarterback Christoph Bono and a safety on a sack of Bono later in the quarter, the the Vikings rebounded with a touchdown reception by senior wide receiver Maurice Williams that was good for a 7-2 lead at the end of the half.

Wilcox surprised the Vikings at the start of the third quarter with a long rushing touchdown, but Williams blocked the extra point and Paly was back in the driver’s seat. First, Bono directed a long drive that culminated with a touchdown run by junior running back BJ Boyd; then, he threw a nice ball that junior fullback Dre Hill took to the end zone to put the Vikings up 21-8 in the third quarter.

The Chargers battled back with a long scoring drive with 6:21 remaining in the fourth quarter, but seconds later, an electric kickoff return for a touchdown by Boyd dramatically decreased Wilcox’s chances of a comeback. Wilcox fumbled the ball away with 4:41 left in the game but Paly could not convert the turnover into points. Senior cornerback and wide receiver Davante Adams made an acrobatic interception on the Chargers final possession to ice the game.

Palo Alto faces crosstown rival Gunn High School at home next Friday at 7:30 for its homecoming game.

More information to come.