Student wireless Internet available on campus

This is a screenshot of the student wireless access agreement taken on an iPhone. Students who have successfully connected to the Paly wireless network will be prompted to accept these terms and conditions. – Spencer SchoebenAs of this morning, students are able to access free Wi-Fi on their personal devices in 90 minute increments while on campus.

The network, called StudentWireless2010, requires users to enter the password “studentwireless” and accept a user agreement before they can access the Internet.

The user agreement stipulates that students may not use the student wireless network while in class without teacher approval. The agreement says that students should not use the network for downloading unlicensed music or video or viewing offensive material, and also places restrictions on use of the network for “political activities” or conducting for-profit business.

After 90 minutes, the length of a block period, students will be automatically logged off the network and must re-enter the password to continue their connection.

The district assumes no responsibility for student privacy, IT support, theft or damage to wireless devices connected to the network and reserves the right to discipline and revoke Internet privileges of students who violate the terms of use.

The district announced plans to make Wi-Fi available to students for use on personal devices in January. As late as Sept. 17, principal Phil Winston said that the district needed “more time to work out the behind-the-scenes details.”

“Right now, everything is cake [OK], but we have the district tech folks and our site tech people monitoring the usage to make sure it doesn’t have a negative impact on anything,” Winston said.