Boys' water polo defeats Mountain View, 11-6

Senior captain Ken Wattana prepares for a shot during the game against Mountain View Wednesday evening. Wattana led the Vikings in scoring, contributing four goals. Aside from offense, Wattana also had a steal on the defensive end. – Marc HavlikThe Palo Alto High School boys’ water polo team (5-4, 3-2) soundly defeated Mountain View High School, 11-6, Wednesday evening at Paly.

After a depressing loss to Mountain View last year, the Vikings’ victory reaffirmed their hopes of succeeding in the Central Coast Section Championships this year.

“They beat us last year and eliminated our chances for CCS,” senior driver Jack Smale said. “We wanted to show them that we are a new and improved team and that we can compete with anyone.”

The Vikings started strong with two goals in the first two minutes of play. In their first offensive possession, junior utility Aaron Zelinger scored a goal and senior co-captain Ken Wattana swiftly followed with another.

In total, Wattana led the team with four goals, including two five-meter penalty shots and a counter-attack conversion. Zelinger added three, while Smale and sophomore Brett Pinsker each scored one goal.

Coach Giovanni Napolitano was pleased by the diversity of scorers during the game.

“They [the team] are getting more confident and moving a lot, which leads to more aggressive shooting,” Napolitano said.

[[nid:23920]]

The Vikings scored six goals in the first quarter and maintained their lead in the second quarter, each team scoring one goal apiece. In the third quarter, a lone Spartan goal was not enough to answer the Viking’s two goals from Smale and Wattana. The quarter ended with a Paly lead, 9-4.

The team attributes its success to intensive drills of innovative plays.

“All week in practice we have been working on plays, and being able to run them effectively,” Smale said. “They worked really well at the beginning and we came out firing.”

The Spartans scored two back-to-back goals in the fourth quarter, making a run at the Viking’s lead. The comeback proved short-lived, however, when the Vikings’ offense contributed two more goals to end the game, 11-6.

Nevertheless, junior goalie Daniel Armitano still noticed some skills that should be perfected for future games.

Smale agreed, “I think we got too comfortable with our lead [in the closing minutes of the game] and got a little sloppy.” Smale said.

Armitano hopes that the performance will continue the team’s momentum and increase its confidence for the upcoming league play.

The Vikings will face crosstown rival Gunn High School at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, at Gunn.