ASB to prepare for tomorrow's Club Day

voice-picture

Seniors Nadav Gavrielov, Jake Stern and Max Cohen (left to right) fundraise money in early February for the American Disaster Relief Club. They’ve set up their table in front of Borders in downtown Palo Alto. – Marc HavlikThe Associated Student Body is working to make tomorrow’s Club Day run as smoothly as possible, according to Student Activities Director Kindel Launer.

Because much of the information was sent out to both club leaders and advisers earlier than prior years, Club Day seems to be better organized, according to Launer.

“Things are going to be more orderly because we did things ahead of time,” Veerappan said. “People know what the year looks like because of the mandatory club meeting.”

With over 60 clubs participating in Club Day, clubs will share tables assigned in alphabetical order, Launer said. A map of the table placement can be found here, with a listing of which numbers correspond to which clubs here, courtesy of Voice.

To give club leaders time to prepare their table before lunch, Launer said that students should ask fourth period teachers to be let out early when the InFocus segment begins.

The Student Activities Office will be open for clubs to store club equipment, which will be transported to the quad by ASB students, Launer said. In addition, club officers may request that ASB students help get them lunch, so that they can continue to watch over their table.

Launer also said that clubs should use the sign-up sheet provided by ASB to sign people up for their club. The sheets are now available online and at the SAO.

Club officials plan several ways to attract new and returning members to their clubs.

“We will be going around with posters and fliers, giving out balloons and candy, and also having a raffle for a free trip to Great America,” Key Club President Kevin Hu said.

Frisbee Club President Chris Liu said, “We’ll have interactive frisbee demonstrations, also known as people playing frisbee.”

American Disaster Relief club also plans to be more interactive with students.

“We will be bringing the sign up sheets to people instead of trying to attract them to us,” club president Jake Stern said.

Club leaders and ASB students all believe Club Day is an important school function.

“Club Day is really the only time in the year that all of Paly’s clubs can showcase what they have to offer to the student body,” ASB president Chirag Krishna said. “So not only does it give our clubs a chance to market themselves, but it also gets our students more involved in the Paly community by including them in the many different clubs on campus.”

Larger clubs such as Key Club is aiming for 200 to 250 sign ups with an end result of 125 to 150 members in the club, while smaller clubs such as Science Olympiad Club is aiming for a membership of 40 to 50 students, according to Hu, who is the president of both clubs.

In addition to free lunch offered in the Student Center on Club Day, the Bhangra Club will be performing on the deck during the extended lunch, according to Krishna.