Swimming to Stardom: Tosky races to international success

Tosky dives during a relay at the 2010 Santa Clara Valley Athletic League Championships. This summer she set five meet records at the USA Swimming Junior Nationals in Irvine. – Ken WattanaSix gold medals, three meet records, and two national team qualifying times. That’s only a portion of what Palo Alto High School junior Jasmine Tosky accomplished in the pool this summer.

While most students were enjoying their summer break, the talented Tosky was hard at work in the pool racing against the best swimmers in the America.

Tosky strengthened her reputation as one of USA Swimming’s elite young talents and a top college recruit with a string of outstanding performances at major summer meets.

In the grueling month of August filled with three of the biggest competitions of the year, Tosky, only 16 years old, showed that she can swim with the best. Competing for her club team, Palo Alto Stanford Aquatics, she started off at the USA Swimming Senior National Championships in Irvine, where she swam stroke for stroke against Olympians and some of the top collegiate talent in the America. She remained in Irvine to swim in the Junior National Championships with girls closer to her age and won five individual medals while setting several meet records. Her achievements at the Senior National Championships qualified her for the Junior Pan Pacific Championships in Maui with Team USA, where she earned three individual medals and two team medals.

At Senior Nationals, Tosky finished sixth in the 200-meter freestyle in a time of 1:58.63 and fifth in the 200-meter butterfly, qualifying her for the Senior National Team in both events. According to Tosky, the top six swimmers in an “A” final (the top eight swimmers overall) at Senior Nationals earn a spot on the team.

“As of right now I am on the Junior National Team in addition to the National Team.” Tosky said. “Until I participate in a National Team meet, I’ll still be on the Junior National Team.”

In the 200-meter individual medley, Tosky placed tenth with a time of 2:13.18, faster than former U.S. champion, Olympian and recent Stanford graduate Julia Smit who placed eighth in the championship final. Tosky then swam to 12th in the 100-meter butterfly in 59.56, which was quicker than Stanford graduate and Olympian Elaine Breeden. In the 400-meter individual medley Tosky won the consolation heat, placing ninth overall.

Tosky was pleased with her finishes.

“I’m really happy with my overall meet at [Sr.] Nationals,” Tosky said. “I finally made some of the “A” finals. For 200 free I wasn’t really expecting to do that well so I surprised myself.”

Tosky, the 2010 San Jose Mercury News female swimmer of the year and the owner of four Central Coast Section individual titles and four CCS records, admitted that it was slightly unnerving swimming against older athletes.

“It was kind intimidating when competing against people in their twenties,” Tosky said. “The atmosphere is a little overwhelming.”

At Junior Nationals, Tosky was the star. Swimming in an amazing six events, not counting relays, Tosky placed in the top three of every event she was entered in, showcasing her tremendous versatility and endurance. She was the high point swimmer of the meet, setting meet records in the 200-meter freestyle in 1:58.54, the 200-meter butterfly in 2:09.28 and the 200-meter individual medley in 2:13.02. Tosky also placed first in the 400-meter individual medley with a time of 4:43.90, first in the 100-meter butterfly 59.43, third in the 100-meter freestyle in 55.52 and second in the 50-meter freestyle at 25.96.

“It was not so intimidating when competing against kids my age,” Tosky said.

Only a couple weeks later, Tosky headed to Hawaii for the Junior Pan Pacific Championships, which featured the top under-18 international swimmers from the Pacific Rim area that were not competing at the Pan Pacific Championships. She placed first in the 200-meter individual medley in 2:15.81, third in the 100-meter butterfly in 1:00.03, third in the 100-meter freestyle in 55.84 and second in the 200-meter freestyle with a time of 2:00.96. Tosky also swam on two gold medal relays for Team USA. However, fatigue took its toll and Tosky did not swim in all the events in which she was entered.

“I didn’t swim the 200 butterfly or 400 individual medley at Jr. Pan Pacs because I already swam those events at Jr. Nationals and Sr. Nationals,” Tosky said. “Two weeks of competition took a toll on my strength, so I was a little fatigued. My real goal at Jr. Pan Pacs was to enjoy the meet and have fun on the trip and with my swims. Those two events are quite demanding so I decided to scratch them.”

Tosky showed amazing consistency in her swims this summer, repeatedly placing in the top three in highly competitive meets. She was happy with her performances and is humble despite after earning countless medals and accolades.

“I think I was pretty successful this summer, especially because I was on a four week taper,” Tosky said.

It took her coach, Tony Batis, to put her athletic achievements in perspective.

“She is one of only four swimmers in the nation that has 10 Olympic Trial cuts.” Batis said.

Two of the others? None other than Olympic champions Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte.

Despite standing only 5 feet 6 inches tall, giving up more than six inches to other elite swimmers, like USA National Team member Allison Schmitt (6’1″), who currently owns the fastest 200 meter freestyle time in America, Tosky has not let her size hold her back.

“Jasmine isn’t the biggest or strongest girl in the pool.” Batis said. “She knows who she is racing against. She knows what the challenges are. She compensates [for her average size] by doing other things a lot better, and doing them consistently.”

Batis believes Tosky’s focus is a big part of her incredible performances.

“At 15, 16, 17 most kids are still trying to find direction.” Batis said. “Jasmine is very goal-oriented. She can create and set goals and knows how to attain them.”

And what are Batis’ goals for the girl that has rewritten the Paly record books and was honored as the USA Today athelete of the week in January?

“My goal is to give all my swimmers all the tools that they need to succeed beyond this little pool.” Batis said. “I want Jasmine to have the tools to be a happy, successful athlete.”

Soon Tosky will be preparing for FINA World Cup international competitions in either October or November.

“I’ll be going to Berlin and Moscow,” Tosky said.

With several major international meets, including the FINA World Championships, around the corner in 2011, Tosky remains focused and determined.

“I just want to see how far swimming can take me,” Tosky said.