Paly choir to hold madrigal concert

Paly’s choir will host its annual Madrigal Dinner and Tea concerts this Friday, Dec.11, through Sunday, Dec. 13, at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Palo Alto.

“The Madrigal Dinner is so different from all of our other concerts because it is a dinner, a play, and a concert all in one,” choir president Shameem Jamil said.

The setup of this concert makes it unlike any of the choir’s other concerts, according to Smura. It is a show and dinner where audience members can watch a comic skit followed by some Mozart.

“The costumes are from the time of King Henry the VIII, concert choir member Camille Smura said. “Concert choir is singing ‘Venite Exultemus Domino’ by Sweelinck, ‘Ave Maria’ by Biebel, and holiday songs.

Besides being very different from most of the other choir performances, it is an important way for the choir to fundraise.

“The concert is our only fundraiser, so it is a big tradition,” Smura said. “It is the biggest show we put on and it takes a lot of effort to make it go well. It is the most fun because it’s like being in a play and singing choir music. Mr. Najar went to UC Irvine and had madrigal dinners there. When he came to Paly he continued it here.”

The Friday tea performance is at 3:15 p.m. The dinner concerts are on Saturday and Sunday and doors open at 5:45 p.m. Tickets can be ordered at the choir’s Web site. Prices vary depending on seats chosen.

The dinners have several courses, which include salad, soup, the main course, and dessert. The audience at Friday’s tea concert will be served tea, sandwiches and light food with dessert, according to Smura.

“Bring your loved ones, listen to fantastic music, enjoy an entertaining performance, and eat delicious food while spending time with great people,” Smura said. “It is a unique experience and I personally will do everything I can to make sure you have the time of your life in 1500s England.”