PTSA creates executive position to head outreach and diversity efforts

Palo Alto High School’s Parent Student Teacher Association is establishing the position of vice president of outreach and diversity as a way to help close the achievement gap and to cultivate diversity, PTSA President Christine Chang said today.

The PTSA created this position through an amendment in the by-laws, which must be approved by its general membership at the next board meeting, according to Chang.

“The person who volunteers for this position will reach out to parents through community events and to students through an existing support network,” she explained. “It’s also open to their interpretation for what future projects they want to take on.”

In addition to making membership appointments and approving the budget, the PTSA received an update on the parcel tax extension.

“We’re waiting for the direction of the school board, which has to approve putting the parcel tax on a citywide ballot, before we proceed with organizing any community awareness projects,” Chang said.

Parent Teacher Association Committee member Mandy Lowell said that the school board is still debating whether it wants to put the parcel tax renewal on the March or June ballot.

“It’s clear that if we don’t renew the parcel tax, Palo Alto schools will face severe cuts because we need more money just to continue doing what we’re doing,” Lowell said. “With rising costs of healthcare benefits and utilities and decreasing revenues from state budget cuts, it’s important that we have this local source of funding for operational expenses that the state cannot take away.”

Because of PTA volunteer efforts in phone banking, putting up lawn signs, and talking to neighbors, the parcel tax was approved by 75 percent of voters in 2001 and 74 percent in 2005, according to Lowell. She added that renewed effort this year will be necessary to secure the passage of this extension.

“At $493 per home, you’re paying the cost of a cup of coffee a day for quality education,” Lowell said about the parcel tax.

The next PTSA General Membership meeting will be 7 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 24 in the Haymarket Theater, according to Chang. Principal Jacqueline McEvoy will present her State of the School address.