ASB prepares for Club Day

Club leaders and Associated Student Body members are getting ready for Paly’s annual Club Day, which will be held at lunch on Friday, Sept. 18 in the quad.

This year there will be an information table and a directory, both new features, to make it easier to locate specific club tables.

According to Student Activities Director Kindel Launer, the club tables will be set up in alphabetical order. Students will be free to walk around and join clubs throughout the 70-minute lunch.

“We have made a template of where the tables will go,” Launer said. “It will be a list of clubs by alphabetical order and assignments. You’d check it the way you’d check an directory at a mall. There will also be an information table.”

As ASB members prepare to facilitate Club Day, club leaders are refining past advertising methods to attract new club members.

Senior Key Club president Erika Ji hopes that by utilizing posters, fliers, balloons and candy, students from each class will join and participate in community service activities with club members from Paly and other high schools in northern California.

“We’re [Key Club members] trying to reach out to as many people as possible.” Ji said. “You don’t need specialty for community service.”

According to a Key Club flier, Key club is an “international, student-led, service organization” that specializes in community service. Club members also have the opportunity to attend national conventions and spirit rallies.

Senior Thespian Society secretary Hannah Crown hopes that students who join the theater troupe will also take an active role in the Paly theater program.

“[People should join the Thespian society] to know what goes on in Paly theater,” Crown said. “Theater is a huge part of Paly and not many people realize that.”

Crown expects a considerable number of new freshmen to join the Thespian Society on Friday.

“There are a lot of freshmen this year that I know are interested,” Crown said.

Ji, also co-president of Science Olympiad and treasurer of Math Club, wishes to encourage students who are passionate about math and science to join Math Club and Science Olympiad.

“Math Club focuses more on contest math,” Ji said. “It’s a way to learn about math that’s different than in other classes. You cover all sorts of different topics.”

While Math Club prepares students for math contests such as the American Mathematics Competition (AMC) and the United States of America Mathematical Olympiad (USAMO), Science Olympiad members will choose to study one or more of the 23 science topics available. Students will be put into teams according to topics, and will attend competitions. Last year, Paly’s Science Olympiad team placed in both regional and state competitions.

According to Launer, the robotics team may be demonstrating a robot for prospective members as part of their Club Day presence.

PTSA will provide a free lunch of hamburgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs and Caesar salad available to students in addition to the club booths.