Students receive fines for biking without helmets

The Palo Alto Police Department are increasingly giving out citations to Paly students seen biking without helmets as of late August according to officer Chris Hammett,, a policy that has been in place for many years and will be continually enforced.

“We on the Traffic Division take school safety very seriously, especially the safety of bicyclists riding to and from school each day,” Hammett said. “It is not a new policy for us to issue citations to anyone under the age of 18 who is not wearing their helmets. It is something we have done for many years, and not just at Palo Alto High, but all schools. Unfortunately, we have seen a dramatic increase in collisions involving bicyclists and injuries occurring through riders not wearing helmets.”

The fines range from $25 to as high as $100, depending on the court and county fees and assessments that can increase the fine, according to Hammett.

According to senior Michelle Tran, the police officers are frequently seen around Churchill Avenue and Embarcadero Road stopping Paly students biking without helmets and handing out tickets since the beginning of the school year.

Gunn High School students have also been subjected to stricter bicycle safety rules and helmet regulations, according to Gunn junior William Wang, who witnessed his fellow classmates receiving fines.

“They [the police] aren’t seen that often, but when they are, they’re usually patrolling the area near Maybell Way,” Wang said. “I’ve already seen some of my friends get busted by the police.”

According to Hammett, bicycle helmets reduce the risk of traumatic brain injury by as much as 85 percent and 75 percent of bicycle-related fatalities among children could be prevented with a bicycle helmet, which he feels is necessary to ensure safety among students and all riders under 18 years old.

Tran, despite agreeing with Hammett’s views on bicycle safety, feels that the police officers are too harsh on students.

“I suppose it’s about time they start making people wear helmets now rather than wait until an accident does happen and then start enforcing,” Tran said. “I support the PAPD giving out tickets, but I think that it would be better if they gave out warnings before handing out tickets.”

Hammett, however, feels that giving out tickets is necessary to ensure safety and avoid potential accidents, which are more frequent with the lack of a bicycle helmet.

“For us, it is important right from the beginning of the year that we ensure that everyone is safe, and are aware of the laws regarding the wearing of helmets,” Hammett said.

To avoid being fined or injured, Hammett encourages students to make wise choices when biking. According to Hammett, this includes wearing a helmet and checking to make sure it is secure, not listening to music, riding on the correct side of the road with the flow of traffic and making sure to stop at red lights and stop signs in accordance with the law.