Theater department prepares for Almost, Maine auditions

Auditions for Paly’s fall play, Almost, Maine, will be held in the Haymarket Theater after school on Tuesday and Wednesday.

“We will be looking for a variety of skills,” director and theater teacher Kathleen Woods said. “We are looking for people who can play relationships realistically and who have that chemistry.”

Interested students are to come to the theater after school on either Tuesday or Wednesday to complete an application form and sign up for a five to 10 minute time slot, according to Woods. They will be expected to return to audition during their respective time slots, during which the auditioners will receive a script and act out a scene. Call backs will take place on Thursday.

According to Woods, this year’s fall play, Almost, Maine will consist of relatively short, independent love stories. The play takes place in a mythical town in northern Maine in the winter and focuses on the romance between the characters.

“Each scene is a different story,” Woods said. “The scenes only have two or three people. It’s very intimate in that regard. It’s a contrast between the intimacy of the scene and the large aspect of the environment.”

Because each scene is relatively short, the rehearsal schedule for Almost, Maine will be less time demanding on the students than last year’s fall play, On the Razzle.

Like past plays at Paly, the concept behind this year’s play, “Love is like a lobster,” ties both the theme and the setting together.

“It [Love] is hard; you have to crack it,” Woods said. “It’s all rough and pokey on the outside, but all soft and tender on the inside.”

The auditions will also be used to consider role placement for the fall stage reading series, which is made up of cuttings from plays that have been recently performed on Broadway. Unlike a play, stage readings do not require much movement, and the actors will be able to read directly from the script. Stage reading prospects should concentrate more on vocal strength than the romantic performance that Almost, Maine demands, according to Woods.

Almost, Maine showcases from Nov. 6-14 in the Haymarket Theater. The stage readings will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 24 in the Haymarket Theater.