Black Death props cleared from reenactment room

Workers spent much of last week removing props from A3, the room that former history teacher Michael McGovern used to stage his historical reenactments, in an effort to make room for a new Infocus studio.

The broadcast journalism class will occupy the space commonly known as the “black box theater.” The room served as the set for McGovern’s renowned reenactments. Props from the set of his Black Death production were cleared from the room Wednesday and were left in a dumpster outside the history classrooms. McGovern left Paly after the 2007-2008 school year in part due to a disagreement with the administration over the reenactments.

InFocus is now planning to convert the vacated space into their new studio, moving from a portable by the football field.

InFocus adviser Mike McNulty highlighted the benefits of the move.

“One of the drawbacks of the class was that it was split,” McNulty said. “The TV room was far away at the track and one half of the class would need to stay in the room [214]. It was a matter of supervision and a matter of being able to coordinate.”

A3 provides three times as much space as InFocus‘s current home and will allow more room for the crew to maneuver.

“The studio is tiny,” McNulty said. “The directors couldn’t use the headset because their voices would carry to the cameras. Now we will be able to move the cameras around.”

McNulty said he is excited for the move but does not know when it will take place. As a result, the class has not decided when InFocus will air this year.

With the exception of the InFocus desk, which will remain as part of the set, the room will also allow for many new set configurations, McNulty said.

“The new space is an open canvas waiting for the paint,” McNulty said.