Farmers' market provides fresh, local food

As people become more environmentally aware as a result of the current green movement, farmers’ markets are growing in popularity. The Palo Alto Downtown Farmers’ Market attracts many local farmers and residents in search of wholesome, environmentally friendly food every Saturday morning in downtown Palo Alto.

Several of the farmers have been coming to the market for many years, some since the opening season of the market 28 years ago.

“Our parents came to the opening season [of the Palo Alto Farmers’ Market] 28 years ago, and we’ve been here for about 15 or 16 years,” siblings Gilbert Gibson and Ginger Lobeck said. “We like to think of ourselves as Palo Alto exclusives.” The brother and sister grow apricots and walnuts at Gibson Farms, located in Hollister.

Click here to see the slideshow!

Arther Valesquez said that the farm he works for in Fresno has been coming to the farmers’ market for 26 years. The farm also sells produce at another market in Santa Monica. “It [the Palo Alto Farmers’ Market] is different because the other market is bigger with more people,” Valesquez said.

Victor Miguel has been coming since 1982, and he has noticed the same steady flow of friendly customers.

“It’s been a long time,” Miguel said. “Over the years it’s been pretty much the same.”

While all the farmers that come are relatively local, not all of the produce sold is organic. “I would guess that about 25-50% [of the farms here] are organic, which is not enough,” produce seller Eytan Navah said. His company promotes “Community Supported Agriculture, which lets people buy a share of farm. They then get a box of veggies every week. This supports small farms and helps the people with a box of veggies,” Navah said. According to the USDA, organic foods must be free of genetic engineering and synthetic chemical fertilizers.

Most of the customers are local residents who come for the fresh, local produce.

“[We’ve been coming] every week for forever,” customers Ellen and Tom Ehrlich said. “We go to Menlo, occasionally the California Avenue market. This is our favorite.”

Valerie Shore, another customer, appreciates the friendly atmosphere and enjoys supporting local farmers.

“I like to buy as locally as possible, with the smallest carbon footprint and the least waste,” Shore said. “The food is freshest, more nutritious, organic and the people are friendly. I try to get my groceries as much as possible from organic and local farmers. That way I can support farms without chemicals.”

For some people, the market’s greatest attraction is its friendly environment and warm weather. Musician Anna Laube comes to farmers’ markets once or twice a year to play her guitar for donations.

“Everyone here’s nice, and the weather’s great,” Laube said.

The Palo Alto Farmers’ Market runs from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. every Saturday from mid-May to mid-December, and is located downtown on Gilman Street at Hamilton.