Streakers, getaway drivers, caught in the act

The Paly administration plans to take a strong stance against streaking this year after several seniors streaked across the quad Tuesday morning.

Two naked males were spotted running across the quad around 9:45 a.m., according to the administration.

Four people were suspended following Tuesday’s act, according to an anonymous streaker. Both of the streakers were suspended for three days and two people, who were in the getaway car, were suspended for one day.

The administration will not confirm if anyone was caught, but they promise to crack down on streaking.

“It is a suspendable offense and students can be suspended from 3-5 days, depending on how much of our time is wasted,” vice principal Jerry Berkson said.

According to Berkson, the dangers involved with the streaking make the punishment more severe than just the act itself.

“There is more to streaking than streaking itself,” Berkson said. “The dangers that surround it are part of the problem. You have the get away car racing around the parking lot and Embarcadero or if the streakers knock someone over running through the quad. They could slip and crack their head open. And also, it’s against the law.”

One preventative measure the administration has taken is to bring a police officer to deter seniors from streaking. If a streaker is caught, the police have the option to register them as a sex offender, regardless of age. The consequences are more severe if the streaker is 18 or older.

“The police can register streakers as sex offenders and that is not up to us to decide,” Berkson said. “It doesn’t matter if you are 17 or 18 and it doesn’t come off your record when you become 18 if you were 17.”

The streakers see why the administration has to crack down; however, they would like to enjoy their senior traditions.

“It’s a tradition for seniors to streak during their last week of school and obviously if it seriously offended anyone I don’t think people would do it,” an anonymous streaker said. “It’s not like streakers stop in front of people, they just run past with no intention of hurting anyone.”

It is usually tradition for seniors to streak throughout the week but with stricter rules than the past, it remains to be seen if there will be more.