VoiceCast: Weekly Update (May 22, 2009)

Maya Shemtov and Helena Raffel of The Paly Voice recap the week of May 18 to May 22. Below is a complete transcript of the above podcast.

Shemtov: Hello, this is Maya Shemtov and Helena Raffel for The Paly Voice, bringing you the latest news from the Paly Campus for the week of May 18 to 22.

Raffel: We’re taking over for Vienna and Anna as the new multimedia editors.

Shemtov: This has been a exciting week here at Paly, as everyone is getting ready for the summer and spring sports are coming to a close.

Raffel: Last Saturday the girls’ swim team placed second in CCS, missing first by a mere three points.

Girls’ track advanced two athletes to CCS after qualifying in the SCVALs meet last Friday at Los Gatos High School, junior Emily Yeates and senior Elizabeth Scott. Boys’ track advanced juniors Philip Mcquitty, Haris Sultani and Daniel Jones, and seniors Skyler Cummins, Paul Brown and Kasey Field.

Shemtov: The Powder Puff Volleyball tournament has been going on at lunch this week.

Raffel: In other news, ASB canceled the second spirit week that was planned for the end of this month. The event was canceled due to insufficient timing and lack of approval from the Ed Council, according to Student Activities Director Allison Mullins.

Shemtov: On Tuesday afternoon in the SSRC, students and staff met to discuss a potential truancy policy for next year. This policy suggests that students will have to attend an hour of Saturday school every time they have an unexcused cut.

Raffel: This policy is in response to the problematic rate of students cutting classes. According to social studies teacher Eric Bloom, 72 percent of Paly students are truants, defined by the California Department of Education as having three or more unexcused absences in a semester.

Shemtov: On Wednesday at the end of advisory the ambulance and fire department responded to a 911 call for a unidentified adult.

The Silicon Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross held a fundraiser May 18 to May 22 at Quiznos on University Avenue to benefit the Red Cross’ Safe Ride program. During the fundraiser, Safe Ride received 25 percent of the proceeds from Quiznos customers.

Raffel: Gunn’s Student Executive Council held a Tall Tree Fest on Friday. The carnival, in celebration of the end of the school year, was open to all Paly and Gunn students. It featured games, food, and live music.

Shemtov: There was an extended lunch on Friday for Field Day. Free food was provided for students. The quad was filled with slides and other fun activities.

Raffel: David Kennedy, author of The American Pageant, Paly’s AP United States History textbook spoke to APUSH students on Friday in social studies building.

Shemtov: The New Global Citizens club hosted a Battle of the Bands after school Friday on the quad. The event raised money for Let’s Help Each Other, an organization in Peru that helps domestic workers find homes, education, health care, and legal identification. Good luck to all participants!

Raffel: Young Americans, a musical written by Paly students opens this weekend. Paly students will perform the show at the Fringe Festival in Scotland in August. There will be three send-off performances of Young Americans at 8 p.m. on May 22, 23, and 29 in the Haymarket Theater. Tickets are $7 for students and seniors, and $10 for adults. Break a leg, cast and crew!

This has been Maya Shemtov and Helena Raffel for The Paly Voice. If you have any news that you think we might miss, e-mail us at [email protected]. Tune in next week for the latest news.