InFocus to launch '2830' video magazine

The InFocus staff plans to launch its new broadcast magazine, “2830,” which will debut in the 2009-2010 school year.

The name of the magazine comes from the show’s ideal run-time of approximately 28 minutes and 30 seconds, according to Video Magazine editor junior Mikkel Nielsen.

“It [2830] is an opportunity to showcase issues and students at Paly or that affect our community,” Nielsen said. “What’s great about it is, while the InFocus show only runs for five minutes, this is an opportunity to cover issues in more depth.”

Topics for 2830 shows will range from personality profiles to athletics to music, according to InFocus adviser Mike McNulty.

“It’s the video Verde,” McNulty said.

While Nielsen and junior Gunita Singh will manage the video magazine, all members of the InFocus staff will contribute to the production of segments.

“2830 is an avenue for people in the class to contribute to something when they seem to have nothing to do for InFocus,” Nielsen said. “We will use everyone in the class to help us shoot, edit, etc. 2830 is another way students in InFocus can contribute.”

2830 will broadcast completed shows on the local educational channel at the media center, the same channel that InFocus and many other high schools broadcast on.

“They [media center] have 80,000 channels and one of them is dedicated to high schools,” McNulty said. “And it generally goes blank. So we’re [InFocus] going to try and take advantage of that.”

InFocus is expected to produce complete episodes quarterly, and McNulty estimates that finished segments will air about 12 times per month in different time frames, allowing interested members of the Paly community to catch showings.

According to McNulty, members of InFocus unsuccessfully tried to launch a video magazine in 2005 and in 2007. While both attempts did not work out for various reasons, McNulty believes Singh and Nielsen have the skills and creativity to make 2830 a success.

“I’m going to have more of a hand in it than I did the last time,” McNulty said. “I like the leadership, too.”

McNulty says the goal for 2830 is to emulate work produced by HTV Magazine, the broadcast magazine publication at Hillcrest High School in Springfield, Missouri.

“They [htvmagazine.com] are the gold standard for video magazines,” McNulty said. “If we could do anything remotely close to that, I would be elated.”

Editor’s note: (in reference to the ninth paragraph) McNulty does not actually mean that there are 80,000 channels but rather that there are very many.