New Global Citizens Club to host battle of the bands performance

The New Global Citizens club is hosting a Paly battle of the bands contest Friday after school on the Quad.

The student bands Corner Street Light and Middlefield are scheduled to perform, but audiences can also expect solo performances from students Annie Lada, Alex Nee, Axel Mansoor, Jessica Garcia and Varada Niktu.

“We’ve got a bunch of talented students performing, but there’ll also be food and dancing and prizes so there should be something fun for everyone,” event coordinator senior Grace Morrison said.

The money raised from the event will go to Let’s Help Each Other, an organization in Peru that is funded by the Global Fund for Children, according to Morrison. The organization helps domestic workers obtain adequate shelter, education, health care and legal identification. Let’s Help Each Other places special attention on helping women and children of Peru in these areas.

According to Morrison, the members of the NGC club vote on new non-profit organizations to support at the beginning of each school year. Last year, the money raised by the club was sent to fight AIDS in Thailand.

The battle of the bands performance will be the second event hosted by the NGC club this school year, the first being the Winter Formal dance in December. Since the club members vote on new foundations to donate to every year, they also usually come up with new ways to raise money.

In 2008, the NGC club held a garage sale to raise funds. For the last three years the club has sold t-shirts to raise additional money between the larger events. In total, the club raised $6,000 last year, and club members have set this amount as the bar for this year.

“A focus of NGC isn’t just fund raising, it’s educating,” Morrison said. “So if students are spreading awareness about global issues, that’s helping too.”

The activities will last from after school to around 6 p.m. this Friday. Price of admission is $2 per person. For more information, talk to event coordinator Morrison or club presidents Becky Byler, Cat Chiang and Lucy McComas.