Green Team announces raffle winner for Bike to Work Day

Members of the Paly Green Team say they are delighted with the results of their Bike to Work Day raffle, after announcing junior Woody Lewis as the first-prize winner during lunch on Thursday.

According to Green Team member sophomore Emma Tucher, the Green Team participated in the city-wide Bike to Work Day event to promote the Green Team and raise awareness about biking to school.

Over the past two weeks, the Green Team handed out raffle tickets on random days to students who walked or biked to school over the past few weeks.

“We were giving out tickets in the morning,” Tucher said. “People put their tickets in the raffle boxes [in the library and on the quad].”

The Green Team will award Lewis with a bicycle, though he was not present at the drawing. Other prize winners won water bottles, reusable bags and Peet’s Coffee and Tea gift cards.

According to Tucher, the Green Team put signs on the quad about waste and recycling.

“They’re facts about reusing and waste to make people think about it [recycling],” Tucher said.

The event also included free Jamba Juice and Hobbee’s blueberry coffee cake. According to Tucher, the food was donated, the bike was purchased by the Green Team with grant money and the other prizes were purchased with profits from water bottle sales.

Though this is the last Green Team event of the year, Green Team members will convene over the summer to plan for next year, sophomore Green Team member Lori Krakirian said.

“We want to give spontaneous rewards for people who do bike to school,” Krakirian said.

Because the event was city-wide, elementary and middle schools gave out “small prizes” to students who biked or walked to school, Krakirian said. According to Tucher, the city distributed bags and signs on Thursday, as well.