VoiceCast: Weekly update (May 1, 2009)

Anna Bastidas and Vienna Tran of The Paly Voice recap the week of April 24 to May 1, 2009.

The following is a complete transcript of the above podcast.

Bastidas: Hi Paly, this is Anna Bastidas and Vienna Tran of The Paly Voice bringing you the latest news from the Paly campus for the week of April 24 to May 1.

Tran: We hope that everyone had a fun time at prom on Saturday night!

Monday night, author of “Not a Genuine Black Man” Brian Copeland made it to Paly’s Haymarket Theater to discuss his memoir. His visit was originally planned to take place during January, but had to be rescheduled due to illness, according to Paly librarian Rachel Kellerman.

Bastidas: On Tuesday, Superintendent Kevin Skelly spoke with the school board about swine flu prevention and ensuring the safety of students.

Tran: Wednesday night, Paly’s Theater 3/4 class had the screenplays that they have been working on under the guidance of professional playwright Dan Moyer performed and directed by professionals at Mountain View’s TheatreWorks.

Bastidas: In sports news, last Thursday, girls’ track lost to Gunn 48-79, but the boys pulled ahead with a 80-47 win over the cross-town rival. Last Friday, Paly girls’ varisty swimming beat Homestead 125-60 in the final league meet of the season. Also on Friday, varsity baseball beat Monta Vista 4-1. After a rough start to the season, the Vikings were able to recover, winning the last nine out of 10 games, and becoming third in their division.

Tran: On Tuesday, Monta Vista slaughtered Paly’s badminton team, who left the court with a 4-26 loss. Better luck next time. Varsity lacrosse lost to Burlingame, 12-3 on Tuesday.

Bastidas: Congratulations to senior Dan Schwartz and junior Drew Pearson for winning the SCVAL doubles title. Unfortunately, senior Sam Wong lost in the semifinals.

Tran: Tomorrow The Young Minds of Africa Club is hosting a dance for charity at The Jungle. All proceeds will be donated to the Friends of Lurdes Mutola Foundation, which according to senior club president Alex Greene, provides education for girls in Mozambique, as well as health services and food.

Bastidas: This was Anna Bastidas and Vienna Tran for The Paly Voice. If you have any news that you think we might miss, email us at [email protected]. Tune in next week for the latest news.