Campus reacts to national swine flu outbreak

With the recent national outbreak of swine flu, Paly students and staff are taking a variety of precautions, ranging from protective masks and hand sanitizers, to none at all. These varied reactions attest to the diversity of the Paly community.

According to Assistant Superintendent Scott Laurence, the entire state of California remains in a high state of alert in regards to the disease.

“All parents should review sanitary practices with their child,” Laurence wrote in an e-mail to Paly parents. “For example cover coughs, use tissues, wash hands often with soap and water, avoid contact with persons who are ill, and reduce the spread of germs by not touching eyes, nose or mouth.”

Some Paly students, including senior Ahna Rao, are not very concerned about contracting the illness. Ahna’s mother, Amy Rao, was in Mexico when the outbreak occurred, but Ahna believes it is very unlikely that either of them will get the swine flu.

“I’m not too worried,” Rao said. “I think it [swine flu] is blown out of proportion because it is treatable.”

Although Ahna said that her mother remains optimistic about prospects of contracting swine flu, the illness caused a lot of panic in Mexico after having killed over 100 people.

“It [swine flu] is a huge deal in Mexico,” Rao said. “They’ve closed all the restaurants and all public places.”

Sophomore Christoph Bono is also not very concerned about contracting swine flu, although he doubts that the community is adequately prepared should a serious outbreak occur.

“It seems to be not in the area right now,” Bono said. “I’m probably not that prepared, and it could be a pretty big problem.”

Other Paly students have taken small precautions, such as washing their hands more frequently and buying hand sanitizer.

“I bought hand sanitizer but supposedly it’s not supposed to work,” senior Aila Ferguson said. “It [swine flu] is not going to come after us or anything. I think people [in the Paly community] are prepared.”

Junior Joseph Yao brought a protective mask to school at his mother’s suggestion, but he kept it in his backpack and does not believe that he will have to use it.

Like Yao, freshman Elizabeth Silva believes that students should be more aware of their surroundings and personal hygiene.

“People should wash their hands and be aware of those around you, like who’s acting sick or who your shaking hands with,” Silva said.

Some members of the Paly community believe that everyone is overreacting to the situation.

“I think they [the community] are scared,” junior Lucy Moreno said. “I think a lot of people are panicking. I think people should stop panicking.”

English teacher James Hamner feels that there are only so many precautions that people can take.

“As Shakespeare said, ‘We were born to die’,” Hamner said. “You can take precautions, but in the end you can never really know.”