District urges caution in dealing with swine flu

The Palo Alto community currently has no reported cases of swine flu, according to the latest information sent out by the Palo Alto Unified School District in response to an update from the Santa Clara County Health Office.

The district sent out emails Monday afternoon warning parents to keep students at home if they exhibited symptoms such as a temperature of 102 or higher, achiness, runny nose, coughing and a general feeling of being unwell. Parents were also reminded to review sanitary practices with their children.

According to Assistant Principal Jerry Berkson, the swine flu has not changed campus policies in any way yet.

“We would deal with it [the swine flu] as it comes,” Berkson said. “We wouldn’t want to cause unnecessary panic.”

There are currently eight confirmed cases of swine flu in California, according to the Santa Clara County Health Department Web site. Although none of the cases are in Santa Clara County, the Health Department has taken safety precautions to better protect the public. These precautions have an Health Alert to Santa Clara County Hospitals, Emergency Departments and community physicians with instructions to collect disease data and regular conference calls with the Center for Disease Control.

According to the Center for Disease Control’s Web site, there are several basic actions people can take to minimize risk of infection.

First, cover your nose and mouth with a clean tissue when you cough or sneeze, and dispose of the tissue immediately after use.

Second, wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing.

Third, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth to minimize the spread of germs.

Finally, avoid contact with sick people, and if you feel sick, stay and home and limit contact with others to prevent transmission of the disease.

More information can be found on the Santa Clara County Health Department’s Web site.