Paly debater wins state championship

For the first time in Paly school history, a Paly debater won the California High School Speech Association State Tournament.

Junior Lincoln Douglas debaters Avi Arfin and Jujhaar Singh competed at the tournament at Culver City High School last weekend, April 25 and 26, against 64 other debaters. Arfin won first place in an incredibly close last round, beating Percia Safar, a student from Monte Vista High School, 4-3. Singh reached the top 32 but lost his fourth round.

The tournament was both exciting and nerve-racking, according to Arfin.

“I lost my first round so I knew I couldn’t lose any more,” Arfin said.

Both Arfin and Singh said their team and their coaches helped them get this far.

“I couldn’t have done it without my amazing support system,” Arfin said. “The coaches are always there for me, and the team is also incredibly supportive.”

Singh especially appreciated the assistance of Lincoln Douglas coach Jennie Savage.

“Jennie really supports the LD debaters,” Singh said. “She was down there with us, she really gets us places.”

According to Singh, next year will be an even better year for the Paly debate team because he expects several more debaters to go to states. Singh hopes that Arfin’s success will help debate thrive in future years by bringing attention to the team.

“Avi’s win served not only as a tribute to his success, but as a springboard to future debating,” Singh said. “It will provide more resources, and interest in debate, and lead to Paly domination.”