Third day of Not In Our School features a cappella and Earth Day celebration

The Paly Student Diversity Coalition opened its third day of Not In Our School Week with a performance from Talisman, a Stanford a cappella group, and Not On Our Planet, an activity hosted by the Paly Green Team.

Dissolving Stereotypes, the activity originally scheduled for today, was moved to tomorrow to allow the Paly Green Team to hold its event honoring Earth Day.

Senior Diversity Coalition member Macy Stewart expressed satisfaction with today’s performance and activities.

“Today went really well,” Stewart said. “Talisman was amazing. I was completely blown away.”

Many students converged on the main quad to listen to Talisman’s performance. Talisman’s 10 voices opened harmoniously with a song of Zulu origin. After introducing itself to the Paly community, the a cappella group performed “The Black National Anthem.”

According to Talisman’s Web site, the group specializes in performing South African and West African folksongs, African-American gospel and spirituals, and contemporary black percussion and rhythms. As one of the leading collegiate a cappella groups in the country, it strives to share human experiences with the audience through music, according to Talisman’s Web site.

On the other side of the main quad, the Paly Green Team celebrated Earth Day with an interactive activity, Not On Our Planet. Students wrote down pledges to help the environment on Make-A-Wish stars and placed them on a map of the world, according to sophomore Green Team members Letty Kerman and Lori Krakirian.

“Students are writing pledges to improve the planet on this star,” Kerman said.

According to Stewart, the Paly Diversity Coalition has expanded the meaning of Not In Our School by integrating new causes into its annual celebration.

“This goes back to trying to incorporate Earth Day into Not In Our School Week and showing that NIOS is not just about not accepting homophobia, but also about our school not accepting pollution and environmental harms,” Stewart said.

In addition, this year’s Not In Our School week features more international performances than last year’s event, according to senior Diversity Coalition Chair Alex Coblin.

“I believe that this year’s celebration has taken a large step in incorporating more groups to plan the event and also by getting student entertainment for a majority of the week,” Coblin said.

In addition to these activities and performances, students also explored different job and volunteer opportunities at the Job Fair in the senior court.

Along with “Dissolving Stereotypes,” tomorrow’s NIOS activities include a Slam Poetry session and performances from the Paly Dance Company and the Paly Steppers. In addition, the Paly Student Diversity Coalition will screen the film Not in Our Town: Northern California in the English Resource Center at 6 p.m. on Thursday.

To finish this week-long celebration, there will be a school-wide barbecue and a performance from Grupo Luna y Sol, a folkloric ballet group from San Jose State University at lunch on Friday.