VoiceCast: Weekly Update (April 17, 2009)

Anna Bastidas and Vienna Tran of The Paly Voice recap the week of April 9 to April 17, 2009.

The following is a complete transcript of the above podcast.

Bastidas: Hi Paly, this is Anna Bastidas bringing you the latest news from the Paly campus for the week of April 9 to April 17 in our weekly update. Vienna Tran, who usually accompanies me, is on the East Coast looking at colleges.

The Campanile came out on Monday, followed by Verde on Wednesday. The Campanile’s spotlight focused on Paly seniors who have been recruited by colleges for their various sports. Verde brought to attention the work that Paly’s Unity Club has been doing over the course of the year. Pick up your copies outside of rooms P10 or 213, respectively or check out the articles online on The Paly Voice.

Paly’s spring musical Fiddler on the Roof opened yesterday. I went last night and I was very impressed with the entire performance. Senior Alex Nee did a fabulous job playing Tevya. The live music really added to the show and the chorus and the villagers and everyone did an amazing. job. It was very impressive. Performances will be tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m., and April 23 and 24 at 7:30. The performance scheduled for April 25 has been canceled because Prom is also taking place that evening. Tickets can be bought online, at the auditor, directly from Kathleen Woods, or at the door before the performance. Tickets cost $10 for students and seniors and $20 for adults.

Paly’s Key Club and Relay For Life are holding a fundraiser with Jamba Juice. Bring the flier with you to the Jamba Juice at Town and Country and 20 percent of your purchase will go to Paly’s Key Club and Relay for Life.

Speaking of fundraisers, Paly’s softball team is having a fundraiser night at The Counter. Present the flier to the server at the time of payment and 10 percent of the net sales will go to Paly softball.

In sports news, Paly baseball had a shutout against Cupertino, leaving the field with a 6-0 victory. Paly baseball won its fourth game in a row against Gunn on April 11, 6-4. Congratulations guys! Varsity softball played in the Mission City Invitational Softball tournament on Saturday. The team beat Mountain View, 8-3, but lost to Salinas, 5-6.

Last Friday, both boys’ and girls’ track teams lost to Milpitas, 80-47 and 74-53, respectively.

However, the swimming teams were more successful in their meet against Gunn. Varsity girls left the pool with a 123-62 win and varsity boys were also victorious with a 140-46 win.

Paly varsity lacrosse had its second shutout of the season with an 11-0 victory against Harker. Come support the team tonight in their game against Gunn. The game begins at 7 p.m. and is on Gunn’s turf field.

There are track and field, lacrosse, baseball, badminton, and softball games next week. Come support the track and field team as they battle Gunn in their last league meet of the season. Check online for times and locations at palysports.com

This was Anna Bastidas for The Paly Voice. If you have any news that you think we might miss, email us at [email protected]. Tune in next week for the latest news.