The Young Minds of Africa Club to host weekend dance

Students will have the chance to dance for charity from 7-12 p.m. this Saturday, May 2 at The Jungle, a Palo Alto copy shop.

The dance is organized by The Young Minds of Africa Club, and all proceeds from the event will be donated to the Friends of Lurdes Mutola Foundation. According to senior club president Alex Greene, the foundation’s primary purpose is to provide education for girls in Mozambique, but the foundation also provides health services and food.

“We thought that a dance would be a good way to publicize the club and get more people interested in the cause,” Greene said. “Hopefully more people will join the club so it doesn’t die after I leave Paly next year.”

All the copy machines in The Jungle will be moved to the side in order to create a dance floor. Activities at the event will include dancing as well as root beer pong, a game in which two players stand on opposite ends of a table and try to throw ping pong balls into cups filled with root beer that are placed on the other side of the table.

The club was founded in December 2008 by Greene after Gabriel Fossati-Bellani, who works for the Friends of Lurdes Mutola Foundation, spoke to The Campanile class about the foundation’s goals. Since then, the club has hosted a bake sale and a garage sale, raising over $600 for the Friends of the Lurdes Mutola Foundation.

The Jungle is located at 542 High Street, Palo Alto. The entry fee will be $5 and refreshments and food will be served at the event for $1 to $2. To join the The Young Minds of Africa Club, contact Alex Greene at [email protected].