Slam Poetry Club hosts April Slam

Paly’s Slam Poetry Club continued its tradition of hosting monthly poetry slams on Thursday night, uniting an engaged audience and insightful poets in the Blackbox Theater.

The Blackbox Theater, enclosed by black walls covered in fake cobwebs and encasing remaining props from past historical re-enactments, helped create the casual and open environment for this month’s poetry slam. The last poetry slam took place on March 13, 2009.

According to its Facebook page, the Slam Poetry Club defines slam poetry as, “what brings poetry to life because authors are reading their own work. When you read your work, it becomes much more than black letter on white paper; it comes out in full color.”

Because of the intimate gathering of students, this month’s poetry slam was carried out in a relaxed reading session instead of a competition with four randomly chosen judges. Participants shared not only slam poetry but also numerous songs, free-verse and free-style poems, and journal entries from Analysis of the Writer’s Craft.

“Fundamentally, the main goal [of slam poetry] is to hear what people have to say and to provide a place where people can freely share their art form,” senior Club Co-President Gloria Yu said. “Also, we hope to inspire the world through the spoken word.”

The slam began with Yu reading Steve Coleman’s “I wanna hear a poem,” emphasizing the variety and power of the written word and hoping to inspire the group to read their own poems.

Both club presidents, not to be outdone by the other poets, also read their poems. Yu addressed select members of the audience through her free-styling poem, while senior Co-President Dan Schwartz read his poem, “Observations of the Wind.”

Friendly snaps followed passionate readings of poetry, creating a informal and positive atmosphere.

Among many of the show’s highlights was English teacher Kevin Sharp’s reading of his poem, which showcased some autobiographical details.

Inspired by Sharp’s poem, senior Ian Wilson utilized a similar format to present his second poem.

True to Yu’s statement, the poetry slam included performances of diverse art forms. Senior Sarah Adams and sophomore Carrie Adams sang a song they composed together. Carrie accompanied Sarah’s vocals on the guitar, eliciting enthusiastic applause from the group.

“I was actually nervous before coming,” Carrie Adams said, “but everyone was sharing.”

Adding to the colorful musical palette of the evening, junior Chris Tang played his self-composed untitled tune on his guitar.

Later on, the Adams sisters joined with senior Cassie Wedemeyer to perform their favorite popular songs. Wedemeyer later performed a solo on the guitar to the song, “Friends in Love.” Like many other participants, she appreciates the open environment of the poetry slams.

“It [attending the slam] makes me feel cool because I’m surrounded by super-creative people,” Wedemeyer said. “Some of my best friends are here. I learn more about my friends and also learn more about new people.”

Senior Dorsey Bass, who read his poem addressing the controversy over same-sex marriage presented in the media, agrees that the open environment encourages people to read their poems.

“It [sharing poems] is nervewrecking, but people here are very friendly and nice,” Bass said.