School Board approves Paly master plan

The Paly renovation project will move into design stage after the school board unanimously approved the master plan for construction on Tuesday at the district office.

Though there was an unanimous approval, the board requested changes from those involved with the project, according to school board member Melissa Baten Caswell. The board asked that the facilities commitee publicize the Paly master plan more and that it write the implicit goals of the project down.

“We want to see press releases,” Caswell said. “The board wants to a see a list of assumed goals. New people to the conversation don’t understand basic things.”

Architect Erwin Lee gave a presentation at the meeting that included a detailed timeline for the different phases of renovation at Paly, according to Caswell.

The school board was not approving the design of any buildings at the meeting but general locations and orientations.

“We were approving placement, not how they’re [the buildings] are going to look,” Caswell said.

Caswell is sure that the historical integrity of Paly buildings will be upheld throughout the construction.

“There were comments [at the meeting] about historical preservation,” Caswell said. “The historical buildings will be considered carefully.”

Despite concerns raised about the plan at the meeting, Caswell received many messages from Paly staff members that expressed positive thoughts about the board’s actions.

“I did get a lot of e-mails from faculty saying that they were happy with the plan,” Caswell said.

According to Caswell, the board is expecting to see the next phase of plans in the next few months.

“We will be seeing some more detailed plans around June,” Caswell said.