Choir shines in Anaheim competition

Paly’s Concert Choir, Spectrum Singers and Madrigal Singers won more awards than any other participating high school choir at the Anaheim Heritage Festival this past weekend, and student singers hope their success will carry over to their upcoming competition in May.

The Concert Choir and Spectrum Singers received first place awards in their division as well as Gold Awards, which are given to high-scoring choirs, according to vocal director Michael Najar. The Madrigal Singers also won the Gold Award on top of taking second place in the chamber ensemble category.

General festival recognition included a prize for best choral program and the Adjudicators Award, given to Concert Choir, for a particularly advanced performance. Concert Choir was also named Most Outstanding among choral groups, Najar said.

Seniors Joerelle and Jovan Bennett were individually recognized for their solo roles.

“My brother [Joerelle] and I received what they call the Maestro Award for best soloist,” Jovan Bennett said. “[We] led a Negro spiritual choral song called ‘Ain’t Got Time to Die.'”

According to Najar, Paly students have consistently done well at the festival in previous years, but their growing abilities as a group made for an especially successful competition this year.

“I’m very happy for the students,” Najar said. “I am proud of their work, and we are very excited for the rest of the year.”

The choir now begins rigorous preparation for its next major contest, the Golden State Choral Competition, on May 21. Paly was selected to enter this competition as one of the top high school vocal programs in the Bay Area, according to Najar.