Choir to compete in Anaheim

Members of Paly’s Concert Choir, Spectrum Singers, and Madrigal Singers will travel to Anaheim this weekend to compete with choirs from all over the nation in the Anaheim Heritage Music Festival.

Paly singers will learn from a University of California, Irvine, choral professor, perform at locations such as Fullerton College in Orange County, and possibly sing at Disneyland, according to junior Concert Choir member Camille Smura.

“[The festival] is basically a choral competition, which we won two years ago,” Smura said. “Almost everyone in Concert Choir, Spectrum, and Madrigals is going, but the trip is optional.”

According to Smura, the festival is an important opportunity for student choir members to bond, broaden their vocal knowledge, and have their skills be recognized on a national level. Preparation for the competition has been extensive, and excitement is running high in anticipation of an enriching experience and competitive success, according to Smura.

“We’ve been practicing like loons,” Smura said. “Every rehearsal is used to the fullest, and we take the music home to practice. It’s crazy, but it’s the best, and the reward we reap in the end will overshadow what we went through to achieve it.”

In addition to being a major choir event, the festival is a valuable time for Paly’s singers and directors to celebrate their dedication and progress since the beginning of the year, Smura said.

“Our goal is to win every award we are nominated for, achieve a greater sense of self-worth, and prove that Paly’s choir is one of the best in the world,” Smura said.

Senior Concert Choir singer Taro Phillips also looks forward to spending time performing and relaxing on the trip.

“I think it’s really nice that we get to go to Disneyland,” Phillips said. “It’ll be fun.”

The choir’s most recent visit to Anaheim in spring 2007 earned the Concert and Spectrum choirs first place awards in their respective categories. The Concert Choir was one of the top-scoring school choirs at the festival and was named an Outstanding Choral Group.

Coverage of the 2007 choir trip can be found here.

Choir members will leave for Anaheim after school on Thursday and will return Sunday afternoon.