Sadie Hawkins Dance perfectly matched for Paly

Paly’s “perfect match”-themed Sadie Hawkins Dance will be from 7:30-10 p.m. on Friday night in the big gym.

According to junior Social Commissioner Nicole Varveris, the dance’s organizers kept the same theme as last year’s Sadie Hawkins Dance because “this is one of the dances where people actually ask other people to go.”

The “perfect match” theme “means groups of people or dates can dress according to any theme they choose,” Varveris said.

“You don’t need a date for the dance, although dressing up with a date or a group of people makes the theme a lot more fun,” Varveris said. “For example they could dress as super heroes, or celebrity couples, or any other idea their imaginations provide. This also adds a fun twist to the dance because all of the other Paly dances have set themes.”

According to Assistant Principal Jerry Berkson, breathalyzers will be used at the dance.

According to MSNBC, the idea of girls asking guys comes from an English and Irish folk tradition that, during Leap Year, women could ask men to marry them. The Oxford Dictionary of Phrase and Fable says that in the U.S., Sadie Hawkins Day is a pseudo-holiday that originated in Al Capp’s comic strip, Li’l Abner, in which the women of Dogpatch chased eligible bachelors in a footrace; if a woman caught a man, the two would marry. Typically, the event is observed in the form of dances, at which girls approach, or chase after, boys.

Tickets are $5 with an ASB card and $10 without. Tickets are on sale now on the quad at lunch, in the auditor’s office, and online.