Paly theater classes offered for career/vocational education credit

Students interested in theater will be able to more easily fulfill Paly’s required Career/Vocational Education credits, now that the Theater 3 and 4 classes count as Career/Vocational Education courses.

According the theater directer Kathleen Woods, the decision to count these classes for Career/Vocational Education credit, in addition to Visual/Performing Arts credit, was made at the beginning of the current school year.

However, this change is not accurately reflected in the recently distributed course catalog.

In the catalog, Theater 3 and 4 are listed as classes that only fulfill the Visual/Performing Arts credit towards graduation.

On page 22 of the booklet, in a chart titled “Courses in Other Departments That May be Taken for Career/Vocational Education Credit,” Theater 3 and 4 are not mentioned. Also, in the course descriptions of Theater 3 and 4, there is no mention that the courses satisfy the 10 credits need to fulfill the Career/Vocational Education credit needed for graduation.

Woods began talking to the district about making this change toward the end of the last school year.

“I think it’s a positive situation,” Woods said. “Part of what is looked for [in a Career/Vocational Education class] is real world experience, which I think is part of Theater 3 and 4.”

Senior theater student Alice Wertheimer agrees that there are life skills found in theater.

“I think that it’s probably a good idea because Career/Voc. Ed. is about learning skills that will help you for the rest of your life,” Wertheimer said. “Public speaking and improvisation are both skills needed for theater that are also necessary in life.”

Woods added that this change allows for the classes to have more opportunities to work with professionals.

Wertheimer remains skeptical as to whether this new change will alter enrollment in the higher level theater classes, but Woods remains optimistic.

“It’s good for students because it allows for room in their schedule,” Woods said. “This change allows students to take theater during the day and still get Voc. Ed. credit. They do not have to make a choice between theater and a different Voc. Ed. class.”

Theater 1 satisfies only the Visual/Performing Arts requirement for University of California and California State University, whereas Theater 2 – 4 satisfy the Visual/Performing Arts or Elective Course credit, according to the course catalog.